About a month ago I went to a fundraiser. The truth is that I've been looking forward to it for nearly two years. It is only held every other year, and it is one of the few occasions that I have in my life to have an elegant evening out. This year it was held at an awesome venue. What made it even better was that my friends and I were able to watch as a massive thunderstorm rolled in over the city.
One of the fun parts of this whole event is that we get to dress up. I mean, all dolled up. Hair included. Not going to lie, it was a bit of a kick in the teeth, mainly because I decided that I was going to grow my hair out so I could something really pretty with it for this fundraiser this spring. Well, during the summer I also decided that I wanted to dye the last few inches of my hair pink. This was an epic fail on about fifteen different levels, so I had to cut it all off. My hairstylist tried to save as much as he could, but it was a pretty hot mess. The end result was a rather short bob, all one length. Well, that was July, and my hair grows fairly quickly, but not quick enough to do something elaborate with my hair. So, I was (and currently am) rocking what my mother has deemed my "sheet of hair." Which pretty much looks like this:
Except only about to my shoulders. Because I am young and dumb still, okay?! Anyway, I managed to put it up in fairly cute way thanks to YouTube, and I wore a dress that I'd been saving for a special occasion.
After work, I went to team!friend's house to get ready. I did my hair before I left for work, so all that was really left to do was put on my dress and do my makeup. Honestly, a fairly short process since I don't know much about make up. I know how to do a smoky eye, and that's only because the lady who sold me the pallet at Sephora wrote it all down for me in what I'm sure is excruciating detail.
While I was getting ready, team!friend started to say something about the fundraiser and then stopped. I asked her to go on, and she went on to tell me how after a staff meeting the day before, she could see how hoodie!boy and I would be a couple and how our personalities and perspectives complement each other. I saw (see?) it, but I just don't know anymore. All I can say, and I've said it before, is that if this is going to happen, he is the one who will approach me. Not the other way around. The proverbial ball is in his court.
I figured that I wasn't going to meet anybody. Pretty much everyone in attendance I already knew, or if I didn't know them, they were older, married couples. Still, having some wine, playing in the venue, getting all prettified, and having a dinner that I didn't have to clean up with several of my friends? A hell of a good night in my book.

Yay to having a good night! Boo to unexpected hair cuts. At least you could still do something with it, even though it was much shorter than you were hoping!
ReplyDeleteI hope the evening was a blast! As much as I hate weddings, I love that I get to get all dressed up for them because they're the only events i have to get dressed up for.
ReplyDeleteSomething like this sounds like it would be absolutely wonderful. And I'm sure your hair still looked fantastic, even if it wasn't the way you wanted it. :)