Today, I have found myself thinking about expectations.
Expectations of myself.
Expectations of others.
Expectations of the past.
Expectations of the future.
And I'm finding out that I need to let go of those expectations. I've clung to them for so long, that I'm supposed to be a certain way, and the person I date is supposed to be a certain way, and the future is supposed to look like this, and the past factors in like that. The truth is, my expectations have been off mark, or at least not very helpful.
For instance, part of me expects to be a tall, leggy blonde who is a social butterfly slash rockstar. There is not enough hair dye, pilates classes, and fruity drinks in the world to make that happen.
Do I expect the person I date to illicit a visceral reaction in me? To be completely knocked off my feet? To be Prince Charming/Phillip/Eric all rolled into one?
The past is just that, the past. What was said and done, is said and done. It can't be altered, it can't be changed. Although I guess if I was dating Aladdin, I could have Genie take care of some of that for me.
Same thing goes for the future. Genie isn't here to create my expected scenario, but that's okay. My life already isn't what I expected it to be, and I'm pretty damn happy.
On a related note, I have next weeks little excursion planned... *evil finger tap* As much as appetizers and drinks downtown is up my alley, this is even more so.
- Alice
No comments:
Post a Comment