07 July 2012

About That

Self-sabotage.

I'm getting really good at this now.

I was laying in bed the other night, and I finally let myself accept that I am a self-sabotaging fool. It came over me like a ton of brick. One minute it was just a vague notion floating in the back of my mind, and then it was there. It was big, bold, and brutal. How about them alliteration apples?

Believe it or not, it was something that my mother said that set it all off. She mentioned that she is all about Downton Abbey these days. We were talking about the characters, and she was worried about the scullery maid's relationship with another character, saying how she was going to be "used in a bad way."

This is a reoccurring theme with her. This fear of being used by men. Once she told me that I was being used by a man. There was always a sense of impending doom surrounding men when it came to me. It was as if every man is out to get me. I'm wondering just how much I've internalized this idea. I certainly am very cautious when it comes to men. Almost assuming the worst about them until they prove otherwise to me. I'll be the first to admit that it is hardly fair.

I don't think that it is any wonder then that my world is almost exclusively female. I work with mostly women. My friends, on the whole, are women. In just about any given situation, I will talk to a woman I don't know before I'll talk to a man I don't know. It is definitely something that I need to work on in order to make this rabbit hole successful.

Then there is perhaps the biggest self sabotage of all. My neighbor pointed it out to me. She listens to all my crazy stories, always asking me about the next installment. She laughs, gives advice, shares her wisdom accumulated over decades of relationships. Flat out she told me "You go out, but the truth is Alice, you don't want anyone else but hoodie!boy."

So, I gotta wrestle with that monkey. It's a pretty strong monkey.

Tomorrow.

After the vaugely political thing.

Thing is, I'll curl my hair and wear the dress he complemented me on last week. I'll drink a mimosa or two and laugh and be proud.

Then, at first light, I'll suit up for the epic wrestling.

Or not.

Self-sabotage.



6 comments:

  1. i think we all have our all demons that contribute to our self sabotage. I have this weird cold wall to men too. It's definitely something I am working on and just like you, being able to acknowledge it is the "first step" to making it better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so been there. Good luck, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Self sabotage is one of my hobbies as well...and it's a very fine line to ride between wrestling personal demons and purposely setting oneself up for failure. You're an extremely intelligent person. One of the brightest people I have ever (kind of) met. You know best what is in your heart, and whether you want to admit it or not, I think you know what is best for you. You know how to approach him. Doing so may be a challenge, but you have to go with your gut and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you in my head right now? I am currently crushing on a guy that has too many of the red flags that I should have learnt about from my last disaster and yet, I can't stop crushing. Self. Sabotage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was stuck in a routine of self-sabotage for a really long time. And after The Boy Who Smashed My Heart, well, smashed my heart, things were really hard. Part of the reason he smashed my heart as much as he did was because even though I knew it was over -- and by my choice, not his -- at the beginning of the summer, I wasn't ready to fully come to terms with that. Because I had all these stupid theories about how perfect we were together and how well we got along and how we could talk for hours and we would have beautiful blonde babies and he could dance and sing and all this crap. And so I self-sabotaged myself into expecting something more, even though I had clearly said no.

    It's hard. I think a lot of us struggle with self-sabotage. But identifying it, and knowing what it is you do to self-sabotage yourself is one of the most difficult parts. So now that you've done that, moving forward will (hopefully) be easier. You've got this girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all have our routine of self-sabotage. The men we seek out, the people we surround ourselves with, the things we do when someone is interested in us -- those demons we struggle with regularly. Breaking out of them can be really hard. But like all things, recognizing it is always the first step.

    ReplyDelete