It's New Year's Eve, so I'm jumping on the blogging bandwagon. I did this meme last year, continuing the tradition I had way back during my LiveJournal days.
As I was writing this, I was actually wishing I could forget this year. The first half of it at least when I was literally and figuratively a hot mess. While there are still some negative residual effects, on the whole it's over and I've learned from it. Which, I suppose, is really all that matters in the end.
Happy New Year... and here's to 2013!
I took swing dancing lessons. Went to a Civil War re-enactment. Hung out at a Scottish festival. Swallowed every last bit of my pride and asked for help.
2. Did you keep your New Year Resolutions?
It's hard to keep ones you don't really make.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Indeed :) My cousin had her son in May.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not close to me, but several people close to my friends did.
5. What countries did you visit?
Canada. Wooohoooo
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
A good mechanic? Yeah, that would have been super helpful and a lot gentler on my checking account.
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
May 16th. The day my nephew was born, and the day I got some evaluation results from were that were surprisingly encouraging and proof positive that I was doing the right thing after all. That and December 23rd, when I stood up as godmother at his baptism.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Surviving with my sanity intact. It was seriously in jeopardy this spring.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I think that it was letting other people get inside my head. When I heard how horrible I was, I took it all to heart and let it effect how I lived my life.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing too bad. I moved my knee out of joint and caught a bit of the stomach flu, but not a whole lot more.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My spoon ring.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Who are we kidding here, the answer is obviously my landlord.
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My nephew being born and then being his godmother.
14. What song will remind you of 2012?
Hmmmmm.... Imagine Dragon's "It's Time"
15. Compared to this time last year are you...?
happier or sadder? happier
older or wiser? wiser
thinner or fatter? marginally thinner
richer or poorer? poorer
16. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Taking little trips to get away from the drama.
17. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Crying.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
At home for most of it, and then went over to my aunt and uncle's with my brother.
19. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Love is a many splendored thing.
20. What was your favorite TV program?
Since I claimed Downton Abbey last year, I'll go with "Call the Midwife." Yes, I am a PBS fangirl.
21. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hate is a very strong word, and I think that it makes people bitter, but I think I can answer "yes" to this one.
22. What was the best book you read?
I'm trying to think what I read... so obviously nothing that great if I can't remember it.
23. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I made a new Pandora station that is pretty awesome and plays a lot of different, off-beat songs that I've come to enjoy.
24. What did you want and get?
A new computer to replace mine that died. Also, some money to help pay down my student debt.
25. What did you want and not get?
A new car.
26. What was your favorite film of the year?
Lincoln. Let's be honest here - it hit my academic g-spots.
27. What did you do for your birthday? How old were you?
I turned 25 and got all dolled up with my friends for dinner at a very nice tapas restaurant.
28. What kept you sane?
My friends. Sleep. Going into therapy.
29. Tell a life lesson you learned.
You can't please everyone. In fact, there are times when you're going to piss everyone off. What counts then is who is still by your side and your own integrity, knowing that you did what was right.
You can't please everyone. In fact, there are times when you're going to piss everyone off. What counts then is who is still by your side and your own integrity, knowing that you did what was right.
30. What song lyric sums up your year?
I'll do you one better. Here is the song: Let It Be Me - Ray LaMontagne
I'll do you one better. Here is the song: Let It Be Me - Ray LaMontagne
Lincoln hit your academic g spots...
ReplyDelete"Lincoln. Let's be honest here - it hit my academic g-spots."
ReplyDeleteBest. Line. Ever.
I don't think I even thought about New Year's this year... I was so busy, I barely even noticed it had come and gone.