I got back in the proverbial saddle and went to another meet up. This one was, as stated before, at a local coffee shop. I am amazed I only got a little lost finding my way there. Really. I maintain it really wasn't my fault though... it was tucked in the middle of a plaza, and I wasn't about to a) hit someone else looking for it or b) go so slow that I got hit. It worked out, since I feel like I got there just after the initial rush of people.
I have to say that overall, it was rather... uneventful. Which, trust me, isn't a bad thing. After creep!ass's creeping, my med!boy disappointment, hoodie!boy drama, and dubstep!boy shenanigans, I could use a little bit of uneventful in my life. In fact, I was just having this conversation with gator!friend, about how dating can be so damn stressful. She is out there as well right now, and finding it just as crazy as I am.
Anyway, back to the story. I walked in, ordered a non-coffee fluffy drink, and made my way over to the group of twenty somethings that were gathering. After some very nice guy gave me his seat, I settled in for some hopefully quality conversation. The first guy I talked to was alright. He was nice enough, but he was obviously more interested in the woman who was sitting next to me. Although, to be fair, I feel like the vast majority of men there were interested in her. Hell, I think if I were a man I would be interested in her. He was talking about how all of this would be a lot more fun if it were at night and if there was drinking involved. Here my liver is thanking me that vodka isn't anywhere around.
After a good half hour, we all decided to get up and switch seats since sitting in a coffee shop isn't exactly conducive to mingling. I went and settled in with another group of people and we started in on just random whateverness. We talked about our jobs, our creative endeavors, cartoons we watched as kids, the pointing monkey from Family Guy (a lot really...) and tried to determine who was geekier. I'm really much more of a nerd, so needless to say I lost that contest in the early rounds. That and apparently I didn't watch much television as a child. I knew some of the stuff they were talking about, but not enough to really discuss it. I feel like I had my nose buried in a book most of the time, so I'm going with that excuse. Regardless, the five of us seemed to click, well, as much as five strangers can click within an hour. I was attracted to one of the guys, but I really didn't get a strong vibe that he was attracted to me.
I do have to admit that I was slightly amused that we talked about The Trial That Ate America. The Trial That Ate America started the day of my first meetup, and now that it's over, we're still talking about it. At least all five of us were on the same page with it, and then moved on to bigger and better things. Gotta love how things circle in on themselves.
One of the girls I was sitting with invited all of us out later to go see her friend in some concert, which I think all of us ended up declining. There were also invites to go out swing dancing, which I filed away. Team!friend has been talking about going, and I would like to try it out sometime. We're talking about getting together again, but who knows if that's really going to happen? I'd like to think it would, but that doesn't make things so.
Onward and upward to the next misadventure.
-A
Swing dancing is so much fun. You should definitely give it a try if you get a chance.
ReplyDeleteI got to do a one time swing dancing class. It lasted about 3 hours. I learned ALOT and had a blast!! The key to swing is having an assertive partner (if you are a female). If he isn't willing to push you around a bit, swing dancing can be a bit tricky becase you don't know what to do or where to go next! Good luck if you go!!
ReplyDeleteYang!friend