This past week has really had me thinking about love languages.
Quick run down: your love language is the way you show and interpret love. It's the way you love on others and the way you want to be loved on. There are five: quality time, words of affirmation, receiving gifts, physical touch, and acts of service.
I am the last one. Oh, am I ever the last one.
Pretty much, if I care about you, I want to help you. I want to make life a little bit easier. It's why with so many people I know flitting in and out of hospitals, having babies, and being stressed, I want to cook or bake for them. I want to babysit. I'll even clean their house or run errands because I'm done with my work. I am this close to baking for all of my coworkers. Just go apeshit in the kitchen and make a ton of red velvet cookies. I just feel like I need to do something. Granted that won't fix everything, and I know that, but it's just want I do.
It also makes me really consider how I want and need to be loved on. According to the book, laziness, broken commitments, and making more work for me is the quickest way to hurt me. The fact is, it's pretty true, especially the broken commitments part. Say you'll do something and then not following through is something that I absolutely hate. Now that I think about it, that was the only time I ever raised my voice to hoodie!boy.
These are the things I think about as I run around the grocery store. Which, by the way, put me in a much better mood. I ordered a sandwich from the deli, and the guy who put it together was really nice and chatty, gave me higher quality stuff than I asked for, gave me more of said things, didn't charge me for it. Just what I needed.
See, acts of service.
Love languages are so intersting. People show and desire love in so many ways.
ReplyDeleteYou are a server. (And, dang, I wish I lived closer to you to cash in on some of those red velvet cookies!)
Thanks again for your suggestions of books in your area of expertise!
More importantly, was the deli guy cute?!
I stumbled across your blog via 20sb.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy this post. Love Languages is an interesting topic and it makes me wonder exactly what my love language would be.
Fascinating concept! I'm trying to pick my own style out of that list...I'd like to think that I pick a nice 20/20/20/20/20 balance from all 5 categories. But really, I probably lean more toward acts of service as well. If I care about someone then doing something kind for them shows that affection without using a bunch of fancy words to do so, and quality time is also kind of implied. Gifts are nice, but ultimately material in nature. Physical touch is also nice, but it kind of depends on which type of love we're talking about here. I don't touch my guy friends for obvious reasons haha. Also, acts of service are easy. A little kindness to strangers here and there makes the world a better place. Case in point: deli guy.
ReplyDeleteYour love language will make some lucky guy very happy.
~SP
I've never actually sat down and figured out which one that I am, but I'm pretty sure I'm mainly a gift giver. I have always been like that -- a friend has a bad day, I put together a special present for them. Someone does something for me, I want to take them out to dinner or buy them a coffee.
ReplyDeleteIn return, I think I need words of affirmation and touch -- those are the two that I've gathered on my own without actually studying it.