23 June 2012

It Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

I've been spending time with family lately, and I've come to some conclusions.

My family really is a fifteen ring circus.

I mean, I know everyone says that their family is crazy, but I really don't think this level of crazy is what they're talking about. There may or may have not been a fight in a movie theatre lobby over shoes...

To be quite honest, it's been exhausting attending this circus. I mean the sort of exhausting that a nice nap doesn't even begin to touch.

Whoever enters the rabbit hole with me needs to have a hell of a lot of internal fortitude.

While this certainly applies to my immediate family, I'm also realizing how much it applies to my extended family.

I don't have strong relationships with several of my aunts, uncles, and cousins. I wound up going to see one of my cousins play a softball game, and I was once again reintroduced as "your cousin Alice" to the girls. One of them shyly gave me a half hug, because I was family, and that's what you do when prompted by your mother. For the rest of the game, I sat in awkward silence with my uncle and made strained conversation with my aunt. I was never super close to them when I was living in the same area, but two years and 1,200 miles didn't help the cause any.

These girls have no conception of who I am. They don't know that I'm their cousin. Part of it isn't their fault - they're so much younger than me (there is over twenty years difference between me and the littlest one, and nearly thirty from oldest cousin to youngest). For most of their lives, I've been here, there, and everywhere but our hometown. Still, it stung to be reintroduced with my familial label.

Earlier in the week, I spent some time with my grandma and aunt. It was nice, but again, there were some serious awkward silences. I don't know what to talk about. I don't know what's going on in their lives. I don't know what to say about mine. Again, I've scuttled off into the woodwork to do my own thing. The best conversation I had with my aunt was about tattoos. She just got one, and I mentioned mine, and it started a really great dialogue about the experience and why we chose what we chose.

All of that being said, the silence with family isn't all bad. I spent some time on Lake Ontario, watching the sunset in a camp chair, in front of a bonfire with family I haven't seen in years. My South-of-the-Mason-Dixon-Line ass was freezing, but it was comfortable. For the first time in months, I really let myself relax in the silence. There wasn't thoughts of work or commitments or drama. I was just... peaceful. When we did talk, it was real. No small talk, but rather the heavy hitting stuff that actually counts. When there are handfuls of years that separate your visits, you tend to make them count. It is a very real possibility that I won't see that side of my family until weddings start happening.

I suppose this entry is a very long way of saying that when this rabbit hole of dating morphs into a rabbit hole of a serious relationship morphs into a rabbit hole of marriage, I want family to be a part of it. I don't want my child unsure of aunts and uncles and grandparents and cousins. I don't want my issues with family to become our child's issues. I don't want my child unable to even make small talk. I don't want years to pass by between seeing cousins. Some of it is out of our hands, but some isn't.

I have a very nice non-biological family, but it might be worthwhile to start rebuilding relationships with the people who have a lot of the same DNA I do.

5 comments:

  1. 1. I want to hear about the fight in the movie theatre lobby over shoes. Because that sounds epic.
    2. At least there was a bonfire to save you from completely freezing to death?!
    3. My family is SUPER small (two uncles, one aunt, three cousins), but I totally get the whole awkward conversations where you just don't know what to say thing. I'm fine with my cousins, but my aunt and uncles? SO. MUCH. AWKWARD...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that there's something kind of magical about just sitting around, watching a fire. It can just open you up. Suddenly, you become unafraid to talk about things you didn't have the words for before. You don't always say these things, but you somehow know that if you did, you would be understood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you want to change the future of your own family :)
    Just quietly, my husband's family is NUTS (so I will post this anonymously)! They are SO crazy and I now totally understand the whole, "Marry the guy, marry his family" thing. It can be amazing if the family is amazing but it can be like constantly watching car wrecks and train crashes over and over and over and over!!!!
    Make sure that one day when you marry that your inlaws are compatible with you or at least live very far away haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see a lot of family during my vacations in Canada...some of them I am not really close to. I had an awkward solo lunch with my uncle in which I whipped out every conversation starter in the book and it still wasn't enough. Sometimes absence helps you make more of your time together, other times it puts up walls that just can't be torn down. Regardless, it sounds like you know exactly what you want out of your family relationships. You want to be closer, you want to bridge those gaps, and you don't want your desire to get away from your family to be passed down to your future kid(s). I think that's very respectable, and I hope it works out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a very mixed family. My step-family and immediate family are close, but as far as legit blood relatives... not so much. There's a lot of excess drama and ill-felt will towards my family because my parents did well for themselves instead of blowing all their money on booze and lotto tickets. We've started building a relationship with some extended, but most there's not much there... not to mention they live over 6 hours away which makes it difficult to have relationships with them.

    With that desire to have the closeness, you'll definitely do well with your own family :)

    ReplyDelete