Well, the online dating thing seems to be progressing a little bit.
I made contact with two men this weekend, even though I said I would wait it out. Mostly because they aren't paying for the site either, and someone is going to have to say something for any movement to happen. I'm not crazy interested in either one of them, but I figure there is no harm in exchanging a few emails. If neither one of us is all about it, no harm done.
I'm still really nervous that I'm going to wind up in a ditch dead or something. There are just so many horror stories, but I don't want to be so paranoid that I don't ever do anything. Naturally there are very safe route to take, and if we get to that point, you can bet your bottom dollar I will take those routes faithfully.
Not going to lie - I'm not in love with my first date ever being with some guy off the interwebz. I'm really not. I guess I had more... build up for something in my head. Or something. Although, really? I feel like to some extent I need to get over it. I'm twenty-five and life isn't a fairy tale. Obviously I'm not willing to compromise on everything, but I feel as if expectations are going to challenged left and right.
It's funny, now that I've emailed these guys, I feel all weird about this whole venture. Like I'm not ready for it at all. I mean, going out and trying to meet people is one thing, but this? All of a sudden it's scaring the crap out of me...
Hey, some movement is better than nothing! And it's probably just scaring the crap out of you because it's new and different. And if it all goes horribly, just consider it an experiment and move on! Plus, you can always just deem it coffee rather than an actual date ;)
ReplyDeleteYes. Coffee is the perfect fall back plan. Just meet at Starbucks. If it goes well you can be all "we had the perfect coffee date!" If it doesn't go well you can be like "Well... it wasn't an actual date. Just coffee."
ReplyDeleteExpectations and reality often conflict...but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Life isn't a fairy tale, but there are still some great romance stories...and even if the first chapter doesn't live up to what you hoped for, that doesn't mean the rest won't be great. I say give it a shot and see what happens. If anything, these could just be practice dates. Dating definitely requires practice. It's hard. I've only ever dated my friends, people that I've known for a long time through our school involvement. To meet someone you barely know, whether you talked online or swapped numbers at the grocery store, takes a lot of guts...more than I have. And I'm a pretty extroverted guy.
ReplyDeleteThat's why I say jump off the deep end. Try something new. Step outside the comfort zone. See what happens. Bold as brass, eh?
As Shane said, expectations and reality are often very different from each other. Today, it's a lot harder to meet people like ourselves and the internet opens up a great avenue for that.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is a great fallback plan. Sometimes Internet dating is a complete failure, other times it's great. At least if it fails miserably, you know you tried :)