That song has been stuck in my head since last night. It also aptly describes a large part of the past 48 hours.
This weekend was a cousin's wedding. Now, this cousin is a doctor, and his now wife is a nurse practitioner, which means they have a lot of doctor friends. I had the pleasure of meeting one of said friends.
We were all standing around at the rehearsal, and med!boy comes up and starts talking to me. Oh, med!boy... could you have been any more perfect? (Obviously no one is perfect, and that's a tall order, but for real) Handsome, funny, sweet, including, med student, very dedicated to his faith... le sigh. Seriously, I had family asking me who was that boy, things were that obvious.
He went to the rehearsal dinner, and followed me there. We got lost and were laughing with each other through the windows as we did semi illegal turnabouts. At the dinner we ended up sitting in different spots, so we weren't able to see each other. Which I guess was a good thing, because my attention would have been more on him than, you know, family. He got sucked into after dinner entertainment, and was soooooo stinkin' cute. I'm pretty sure my panties were melting.
The next day I got all hot and dangerous for the wedding. Lace dress, make up, hair straight, cute little shoes. I have to admit, I wanted to look good for med!boy. I mean, seriously... he was med!boy. The new mission of this trip was to dance with med!boy.
The wedding was absolutely beautiful, and afterwards, med!boy dismissed the row I was sitting in. As I walked by, he smiled and said "Hi, Alice." I'm all smiles because a cute boy talked to me... and I'm pretty much fifteen years old deep down in side.
So, then there is cocktail hour where I am definitely not fifteen years old, and I am definitely keeping my eyes out for him. Eventually he showed up... with a girl. The doubt started to creep in at this point, but I shoved it to the back of my mind. After all, he wasn't with a girl the night before, nor was he sitting with her at the wedding.
Well, it turns out that he was with that girl. They were chatting all through dinner together, and when I stole outside to get some air, he was out there, kissing this girl's forehead. Very sweet, but it was still a let down. I was... I don't know. I really wanted to be hot and dangerous and make out with a beautiful stranger. I wanted to dance with somebody. I suppose that I could have danced with some other strapping young doctor if I wanted to, there were enough of them around, but I knew what I wanted and I get stubborn when that happens. I fully realize that I missed some opportunity there.
I walked around to the back patio and looked out at this picturesque setting. It was a step down field, with a little stone bridge, and a woods beyond the bridge. There were fireflies blinking and flashing in the night, little beacons to one another. All I could think as I stood out there was how much I wanted to share that with someone. Forget being hot and dangerous, making out, dancing. I just simply wanted to be with someone.
After the wedding I had people asking me if I was in a hurry to get married. I just snorted, and told them I hang with hoodie!boy, baby!boy, and dubstep!boy, none of whom I could picture spending the rest of my life with. The truth is, I ache for that. I love my life now. I realize that I will never have this time back, and I'm not wishing it away, but I do ache for the day when a man looks at me the way my cousin looked at his bride as she walked towards him.
Aww how disappointing! One day you will be looked at in That Way by someone who absolutely adores the frick out of you. And trust me, it will have been worth the wait ;)
ReplyDeletex
Aww. I hate when that happens :(
ReplyDelete