12 June 2011

Red Light... Red Light... Still Red Light

Last night team!friend and I decided that we were going to out. I'd heard about a traffic light party, and I thought it could be fun. I mean, more of the same shenanigans, but it could be fun. The basic premise is this: you wear a wristband to indicate availability. Red is taken, yellow is ech, and green is single. The idea then is you know who to approach and who not to.

So we get there, and order drinks that cost an arm and a leg and make our way to a table. Now we're just watching. The thing is... there is lots to see, but no men that we're even remotely attracted to. I don't know if I'm just picky or what, but really? Nothing was doing it for me. There was one guy who looked remotely interesting, but this place was way crowded. And loud.

Which leads me to the next point. How on earth are people able to talk to each other when the music could cover up a jet engine and the booze is flowing freely? It's too loud, too crowded, too much to really meet anyone, and if you do... how the hell are you supposed to even get a conversation going? Maybe I'm just too old fashioned or something, but it doesn't exactly seem productive.  Is this really how it's supposed to work? If so, I don't want it.

It was interesting to note people's behavior though. It was very much a female dominated event, team!friend is guessing at least 20:1, if not 25:1. Men weren't pursuing women, even the very beautiful women, but rather letting women come to them. I guess that's one of the luxuries of being in such a minority? Then there was the way that people were dressed. Way more dressy than I would have thought. Lots of boobs though. Although, I guess I can't really call them boobs. More like flotation devices. Why the hell would women do that to themselves? Sweetie, there is no need to announce your presence five minutes before the rest of your body gets there. I'm all for doing what you think you need to do, but I also realize that there is a point of excess, and several women had gone far beyond that point.

After getting a tray of waters spilled on me and listening to really bad music, team!friend and I left to go to a place downtown where the freaks all come around, a hole in the wall where there is a dirty free for all. Except it's not really any of those things except downtown and a hole in the wall and as we later found out there was one freak around. We'd been there before, and knew that it was much better for dancing. There's, you know, actually space to move.

We get there, and it's dead. There is hardly anyone in there. Maybe everyone was at the first place? So we get a drink and sit down. This is where I confess that I get into my head way too much. I kept thinking about hoodie!boy for two reasons. The first is that I was kinda afraid he would show up, since it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility and that was really the last thing I wanted. The second, this is the place where he got the name of hoodie!boy and I realized that was sitting exactly where I was when he decided that he was going to put on a little show for team!friend and I. For the good first half hour we were there, my eyes kept darting to the door, worried that he was going to show up. However, once I realized that he wasn't going to show up, I relaxed.

This, however, was tainted by creep!ass. Creep!ass was some guy there who kept coming up to women and dancing with them and picking them up and just in general being a creep ass. He did this to team!friend several times, and then to me once. He was just so freaking scuzzy. Who does that? Especially when women are giving him the vibe to knock it the hell off, that they don't like it. I mean, I got lifted up of the ground, spun around, my shoes came off, and when I was set down, he told me that I wasn't ready for him. Damn straight I wasn't, and don't hold your breath on it.

There were some pretty awesome couples there. One couple had come together, and were excellent dancers. They kept switching it up and going at it, and it was really fun to watch. I can't dance, but I love watching people who can. Then there was adorkable!guy and pretty!girl who seemed to have just found each other that night. They were so cute together. Seriously cute. Also really good dancers. More freeform than the other couple, but very good nonetheless. I ended up talking to pretty!girl's friend for a little bit, and she was just so sweet. It's interesting how I was okay with her touching me and talking into my ear so I could hear, as opposed to how I react when men do it.

We left after an hour or so, mainly because it had stopped being fun. With only two of us, and the creep!ass incident, it really wasn't much fun. We needed a bigger group, and not to have random men creeping on us.

I don't know if I'm ready for all of this. I'm not cut out for all of this preening and showing off and loud music and booze. It's fun in small doses, but I don't know if I could do it all the time. It's just not my scene. I guess I always assumed that I would fall quietly in love. That I would meet someone and we would get to know each other and be friends and then... wait... we're in love with each other and it just snuck up on us. Maybe it's part of the expectations game, or the romantic that lurks inside me. Whatever it is, I'm no good at this whole thing. It's all just... too much, too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment