Let me tell you. It was.
I should have known better. Like, really should have. Still, I was all about the positive thinking and this is just another opportunity to go and talk to some people that I have a lot in common with in a professional sense. No pressure.
After the first keynote speaker, I see a guy that I somewhat knew in college. He was a friend of one of my roommates, so I go over to him. He is facing away from me, so I tap him on the back, and when he turns around I'm all "Hey, I know you." and he just looks at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears. He's all trying to figure out where he knows me from, because I just look so familiar. I flesh out the connection, and he's like "Oh, yeah, that sounds right now that you say it." After confirming my name, he goes "So, how was your wedding this summer?"
...
"I'm not married."
"You're not?"
"No, no, no, no, no. I'm not definitely not married."
"I must have you confused with someone else, then."
"Yeah."
So, what I want to know is, who did I marry? Where did I get married? Was it a good party? Did people have fun? Did I have a kick ass dress? Obviously that last one is the most relevant :P
There was also a very awkward interlude involving a still mooing steak and when I said it was too rare for me, the waitress asked if I wanted it thrown back in the microwave for a few. Um, sweets? That isn't going to dry. up. all. that. blood. But I digress...
There was also a very awkward interlude involving a still mooing steak and when I said it was too rare for me, the waitress asked if I wanted it thrown back in the microwave for a few. Um, sweets? That isn't going to dry. up. all. that. blood. But I digress...
Later on, I ended up talking with one guy for a few minutes before a session started. I saw him earlier, and had made a mental note to talk to him at some point. When I walked into a session, I saw him and sat behind him. Right away he introduced himself and we started chatting about what we do and where we work and all of that really generic stuff. Then we started talking about our favorite parts of our jobs, and I'm thinking that this going well. I mean, I am talking to someone that I had never met before and it isn't hella awkward, so that's a plus! Then, he starts talking with his hands. And then I see there is this shiny thing on his hand. His left hand. Damn. Maybe he got married this summer....
Other than that, I really didn't get to talk to a whole lot of other people. Brief hellos and all of that, but nothing longer than the 30 second drive by to be polite. That's okay, too. I'm not going to force anything, you know? That isn't going to do anyone any good.
All in all, getting a change of scenery was exactly what the doctor ordered. I feel so much better about so much, both professionally and personally. I was able to spend time with other people on staff, and be able to cultivate those relationships. I have such great people in my life, and I need to focus on that. I am very loved by lots of people, and I love them very much as well.
I do have to admit, right now, I am in a pretty zen place. I think I might camp out here for a while. By camp I mean in a cabin with electricity, running hot water, flushing toilets, real beds, an oven, dishwasher, microwave, air conditioning, and lots of bug spray. Imma indoor girl.
I would've just had business cards to skip some of the generic convo or even use handing out the business card as an excuse to talk to someone new. LOL yes the wedding dress is the most important detail, besides the actual groom!
ReplyDeleteI say you should flesh out the details of this theoretical wedding for your next post.
ReplyDelete^In response to Dave, I vote for this as well.
ReplyDeleteIronic that someone thought you were married, then the next guy you talked to is married. Life is funny. But anyway, I'm glad you're in a very zen place. It's a great place to be - stay awhile :)
~SP
Firstly... that would be so awkward... Really? I got married? Hope it was great, cause I wasn't there to see it and still don't know who the groom is!
ReplyDeleteSecondly, they offered to microwave your steak for you? EW EW EW!
Thirdly, I totally had the same thing happen (wedding ring guy) at a conference I had to attend for work. I was so proud of how well I was doing, right up until that point.